Watching films and videos are integral to our highly digital lifestyle. What’s more, with the increasing comfort of the global audience in watching foreign language films, film producers are now sharing their films, videos, movies, stories, and art across the globe. However, the diversity in the cultural background and languages spoken in different countries necessitates the need for translation and subtitling services.
It is important to understand that the audience today is keen on gaining exposure to different cultures through videos and films but are bound by the barriers of language.
Subtitles that translate a foreign language enable non-native audiences to understand by reading text in their native language when the audio within the video cannot be understood.
Challenges With Subtitles and Captions
Even when captions or subtitles are used, if they are inaccurate and poorly timed, they distract the audience from the content, portray the narrative in a misleading light, and reduce the creative value of the video. Film producers and distributors are, therefore, paying close attention to hiring accurate and professional subtitling services in a bid to open up their market to a wider audience.
Dubbing and voice-overs are other tactics used to reach foreign audiences. Subtitling, however is economical and suitable for smaller territories. When they are accurately done by professional subtitling and localization providers, they never fail to attract the target audience.
The Subtitling Process
Hiring professional translation services for high-quality subtitling services is vital. Here’s everything about the process involved in subtitling foreign films.
- Writing the transcript: Translating directly from the audio contained in the video is prone to errors. Moreover, the process of play, pause, and play repeatedly to get the right hang of the content is challenging and time-consuming. A verbatim transcript in the original language is made to make translations easier.
- Translating into a foreign language: Once the subtitles are ready, translation into any foreign language with complete precision is easier as well as more convenient. The transcript helps translators to create subtitles with comfort and ease.
- Subtitling as per the video: Subtitling of the transcribed content appropriately according to the video.
- Running Checks: Once the subtitles are translated into the target language, the subtitling company runs checks to ensure that the reading speed is manageable and subtitles are in accordance with the video.
- Optimizing Subtitles: Before the final version goes for distribution, the company optimizes the subtitles as per the distribution guidelines and exports the same in the required format.
The task of subtitling is not as easy as it may seem. Whether it is from English to a foreign language (which is more common) or vice-versa, it requires expertise to translate and localize the content from a foreign language. Moreover, inaccurate translations suffer from being cultural or politically incorrect, which leads to further problems.
Transforming the script to match the preferences and sensibilities of the target audience is the key to reaching a global audience through native languages understood by them.
Hire the best services at Vanan Services. They have native speakers in over 100 languages to help you reach the right audience in their native language as understood by them.